Friday, September 23, 2011

G.O.T. S.K.I.L.L.S.?

   This past Thursday I was fortunate enough to attend a G.O.T. S.K.I.L.L.S.? event here on campus.  It was a lecture given by Dr. Maura Cullen about diversity.  She was extremely informative and interesting to listen to.  She talked to us about how what we say can affect others.  We also participated in little mini activities that got us thinking about our perceptions of people, and our surroundings.
   You may be wondering what G.O.T. S.K.I.L.L.S.? is.  I did not know what it was until coming here, and I only really grasped it since researching it more for this post.  G.O.T. S.K.I.L.L.S.? stands for Socially just, Kindness toward others, Inclusive toward all people, Leading at every turn, Listening with care and, Self-respectful (good thing we have the acronym).   The program is designed to "encourage students to attend programs and activities that promote human dignity". The program puts on events to promote the ideas listed in the acronym, and at each event you get a survey and the survey puts you into a raffle.  The prizes range, but they vary from $5 gift certificate to higher housing bids.  This program is very cool and it makes it possible to live somewhere really nice next year.
   In short, the program was very insightful.   I will definitely be attending more G.O.T. S.K.I.L.L.S.? events in the future.  They are interesting, and they also can win me cool prizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment