Sunday, August 7, 2011

"Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other's gold"

I was a Girl Scout for 13 years and I cannot tell you how many times I have sung this cute campy song.  We sang it at every meeting from the tender age of 5 to the "wise" age of 17.  Although I used to sing it constantly, never has this song had so much meaning than this summer.

This weekend was my last softball tournament with my team of the last 2 years.  We are all headed off to college in the fall (2 of us leave this week!).  Our schools range from as far south as Georgia to as far north as Vermont (Go SMC!), so we know that this is the last time we will see each other for quite a while.

For those of us who play on travel sports teams, we know that the people on our teams are the people who we spend almost all of our time with. Today, I had to say goodbye to all of those great people, but we know that it is not forever.  We are definitely going to get together during breaks, and we made a Facebook group so we can all stay in touch.  They are amazing people and I am so sad to be leaving all of them.

It is not just my team that I am leaving in about a month, it is also all of my "home friends" as I am sure they will soon be called.  Even though I am leaving my "home friends", I cannot wait to start at Saint Michael's.  There will be so many more people to meet and I know I will make more friends while in Vermont.



One is silver and the other is gold...

No comments:

Post a Comment